History of Lawrenceville
Incorporated on December 15, 1821, exactly three years to the day after the formation of Gwinnett County, Lawrenceville is the county seat and second oldest city in Metro Atlanta. She is named in honor of Captain James Lawrence, the War of 1812 naval commander who gave his crew one of American history's most memorable fighting orders: "Tell the men to fire faster and not to give up the ship; fight her till she sinks!" Though Commander Lawrence died from battle wounds a few days later, the City of Lawrenceville thrived. From the first hearty stock of settlers who lived off the land, citizens of Lawrenceville have long taken pride in establishing and fashioning a strong, viable community.
Chosen because of several nearby springs, Lawrenceville's original town square remains the heart of downtown. With the inception of the first courthouse, which was built in 1824, and the layout of adjacent property, the farming community took shape and expanded. Locals came to town to buy all sorts of dry goods, or sell produce and livestock. A mixed-use retail and business complex downtown, Honest Alley, commemorates the place where mule buyers and sellers gathered to trade in good faith.
Among the greatest challenges in the early days was keeping livestock from trampling the courthouse lawn. Attempting to eradicate the problem, city leaders tried all sorts of materials to erect a fence that could withstand both animal and human tampering. However, fire, not beasts, ruined the original courthouse structure in 1871. The Romanesque-style building that stands in its place was designed by Boston architect EG Lin. A small balcony on the front corner used to summon jurors from the square, is a reminder that this was the official courthouse until the Gwinnett Justice and Administration Center's completion in 1988.
Planes, Trains and Automobiles
In the early days, most residents farmed cotton or otherwise benefited from the industry. One of the first cotton factories, Lawrenceville Manufacturing Company, made goods for the Confederacy, and when it burned during the Civil War, another was built to replace it. Corn, lumber, brick manufacturing, and livestock also fueled the rural economy.
After boll weevils decimated cotton crops and prices plummeted, dairy farming flourished. Then, in the late 1800s through the turn of the century, a mmuch-needed railroad moved people and freight all the way to the eastern seaboard and established Lawrenceville as a valuable transportation hub. Most of the population, however, got around by mule until the first paved road, U.S. Highway 29, appeared in 1929. Only 30 years later, Interstate 85 reached Pleasant Hill Road and put North Georgia on the map. Today, all area highways converge in the center of the city to facilitate commuter travel. The first runway on what became Briscoe Field wwas built in 1966. People were certainly on the move in Gwinnett!
Lawrenceville's first public well was dug near the courthouse in 1871. The first power plant was built in 1903. And in 1951 the Lawrenceville Natural Gas Department was created. The City eventually established its own wells and maintained City of Lawrenceville Water until 2020, when it sold the system to Gwinnett County. The City of Lawrenceville Electric Department currently serves approximately 12,000 customers. The Natural Gas Department currently services more than 50,000 customers in Gwinnett, Walton, and Rockdale Counties.
As Atlanta boomed, the sleepy suburbs came alive. During the 1980s, Gwinnett repeatedly ranked first among the ffastest-growing counties in the United States. Consequently, Lawrenceville hustled and bustled alongside her sister cities.
Embracing Its History & Future
Reflected in the city's expansive revitalization beginning in 2005, Lawrenceville maintains a healthy respect for her past while heartily embracing the future. Among the downtown district's period buildings and landmarks are the Gwinnett Historic Courthouse, home to the Gwinnett Historical Society and voted among the top 30 places in the country to have a wedding, and the Lawrenceville Female Seminary and Isaac Adair House. With new residences, shopping, dining, and entertainment, including the Lawrenceville Arts Center, home of the Aurora Theatre, in proximity, redevelopment initiatives make it possible to live, work and play within walking distance. In 2021, the City celebrated its Bicentennial with a number of special events and initiatives.
The 2006 opening of Georgia Gwinnett College, the nation's first four-year public college created in the 21st Century and Georgia's first four-year public college established in over 100 years, has further enhanced the appeal of Lawrenceville for students, educators, professionals, and business leaders. The liberal arts institution offers bbachelors and associate degrees, as well as graduate programs, in conjunction with the University of Georgia and Georgia State Perimeter College.
In 2021, the School of the Arts at Central Gwinnett High School opened, offering a unique learning experience for Gwinnett County high school students with a passion for the arts. A "school within a school" provides opportunities through both a Conservatory Program and a Fellows Program.
In 2011, Judy Jordan Johnson became the first female elected Mayor of the City of Lawrenceville. Mayor Johnson is the daughter of H. Rhodes Jordan, who served as the Mayor of Lawrenceville for a total of 16 years. Mayor Johnson served for nine years. In 2019, Victoria Jones became the first African-American woman to serve on the Lawrenceville City Council. And in 2021, she was elected Mayor Pro Tem (Assistant Mayor) by her fellow City Council Members.
In 2014, the Lawrenceville Lawn Park, a 55.5-acre city park, with greenspace, volleyball courts, a walking trail, playground and picnic areas was opened to the public. In 2017, Slow Pour Brewing Company opened Gwinnett's first brewery in an old garment factory in the llittle-knownDepot District in Downtown Lawrenceville. In 2019, the Depot District expanded with a second brewery, Ironshield, in the former Gwinnett Daily Post building. In 2018, the SouthLawn Development broke ground on a $200 million live-work-play community in the heart of the city. In 2019, the $35-million expanded Lawrenceville Arts Center began construction and was completed in late 2021. In 2018, as part of Gwinnett County's Bicentenntial Celebration, Bicentennial Plaza, at the corner of Perry and Luckie Streets was dedicated and opened for public enjoyment. In 2020, the Luckie Street Parking Deck was completed as part of the current Hilton Tapestry hotel project.
From services to sports-Northside Hospital Gwinnett, the Gwinnett Justice and Administration Center, Georgia Gwinnett College, Gwinnett Technical College, and the Gwinnett Stripers Minor League Baseball . . . Lawrenceville covers all bases.