Frequently Asked Questions

Below is a list of links and questions/answers to frequently asked questions of the Planning & Development Department:

Where can I get a survey of my property?

What is required to become a state licensed contractor?

How do I submit a rezoning request?

How do I have a variance heard by the Downtown Architectural Review Board?

Who enforces on-street parking?

Who should I call about stray animals, animal cruelty, animal bites or dangerous animals?

How do I apply for a business license?

How do I change the name on a business license?
View the Business Change Request (PDF).

Can I keep livestock/chickens on my property?

How do I know if I need a permit for my home remodel/project?

How do I obtain a residential construction permit?

What are the zoning laws for constructing additions to a house?

How do I apply for a Certificate of Occupancy (C.O.)?

How do I apply for a marriage license?

How do I obtain a copy of my marriage certificate?

How do I get a permit for an outdoor event at my business?

How do I legally block off sections of public road for an event?

How do I renew my expired business license?

Where can I find property maintenance requirements?

What size sign can I place on my business?

Can applications be submitted online?

How long after my request can I expect my inspection?
While we try to perform inspections the day after the inspection is ordered, we have 2 business days to complete the inspection. For more information, please call 678-407-6583.

How do I get a Certificate of Occupancy?
The City only issues Certificates of Occupancy for new construction. If you need a Certificate of Occupancy for any other reason you will need to contact the Gwinnett County Fire Marshal by calling 678-518-4980.

How do I find my property lines or the owner of a property?
For information regarding property lines, you must contact a land surveyor. It may be less expensive to use the one who originally surveyed the subject property. Property ownership and other information about a property can be found on the Gwinnett County GIS Database. Please note the information on this site might be behind the actual land transactions by several months. View the Gwinnett County's GIS Database.

How do I obtain all city permits / inspection records for my home?
If a permit was issued for the work Planning and Zoning should be able to provide permit and CO dates and a copy of the inspection board. If you are the owner of the property with the street address of the project, please contact Planning and Zoning.

Where can I obtain historic records / photos of Lawrenceville?
For records of any kind for Lawrenceville, please visit the Gwinnett Historical Society located on the second floor of the Historic Courthouse. For more information, please visit the Gwinnett Historical Society page .

How do I add a name to my property deed?
This is a matter that must be handled by an attorney. For more information, please contact Planning and Zoning.

How do I obtain blue prints/property line information for my home?
Visit the Clerks Authority website.

How do I obtain a copy of my Homeowners Associations (HOA) covenant?
For more information on Homeowners Associations, please visit the Gwinnett County website.

How do I obtain a birth certificate for my child?
For more information on obtaining a birth certificate, please visit the Gwinnett County website.

Is there an online zoning map?
A zoning map is available under Zoning Ordinance at Attachment 1.1. To view the Attachment, please visit the Zoning Ordinances page.